Sunday, October 17, 2010

Offseason Discussion!

So as this Season 3's come to a close, I'd say that overall the year was a success, especially compared to last year. What we've learned this year is that it's very hard to sim games when any of us are in school, but that when it's during the summer, we generally can do this well. Some things to think about and some reasoning too.

-Expansion?
Not happening. :P

-Spring Football? Reducing Games?
What we learned this year is that the beginning of the school year is a hectic time for all of us. Which means that we need to be aiming for the season to be over by the middle of August. Which leaves us with two options, starting the season in April or May, or reducing the season to 8 games. If we'd go with April and May games, I'd aim for each week to be a total of 2 weeks, so that we could spread out the simming over two weeks. Alternatively, we could cut back to 8 weeks on the season if we started in June.

-Extra Simmer?
Also, it'd be nice to find someone else who can sim these games for us, as a lot of what holds us up sometimes is my busy sports and travel schedule. I'm out of town a lot, and it shows in how we can miss a week. Additionally, if we get a 3rd simmer, each of us would only have to do 2 games a week, which would be really nice.

-Also, I'll go ahead and make this a check-in. So we know that you're still committed to the MLF, I'd like to hear responses from all 9 other owners with your thoughts on the above things, and with your own "reforms" that you'd do. We'll probably hold a vote on these things in the next coming month, and anyone who doesn't vote on that will be deemed as a "dead owner" and will likely be replaced.

19 comments:

Anthony Farris said...

Checking in; I read every post, just don't comment as much anymore.

BJBerthiaume said...

i'm here

Beast Mode said...

AY! [/The Fonz]

Beast Mode said...

Also, if expansion becomes a factor, I could look up some more players to join for the expansion teams and free agency.

Michael said...

Yeah, I'd keep it at 10. If anything we make it 8 again just for the amount of support.

Plus, we could redo rosters with all the players int he NFL.

Big Mike said...

No to 8 teams, we don't need to reduce. I'm not crazy about expansion though, I think we should just keep it at 10. As far as the NFL players thing goes, I agree that we should go in and take out starters again like Jeff Saturday (Yeah he's on the Navy), and some guys like that but some of the guys don't play in the NFL anyways so there is no reason to replace them. We may need to have a owners vote on some guys to keep, unless everyone really thinks they can contribute and pay more attention.

As far as reducing games, I would say no there as well, we should just stay at 10. This also brings up another negative in the Expansion idea, we would most likely have to have a 12 game season.

Crash said...

But if we stay the way it is, this year will be the same as last year with the delaying of the Championship game this far - either we've gotta start it in the spring or reduce the schedule. I'm telling you, the current format doesn't work.

(And I have a fear that if we don't do anything like expansion, that we'll completely lose interest in the league...)

Big Mike said...

I never said starting in the spring was a bad idea, I said reducing or expanding the league is a bad idea. If we can start a couple weeks earlier then thats fine, I have no problem with that. I'm saying reducing the schedule is not good because it messes up our format. If we reduced the schedule we might as well reduce the teams which I don't think we need to do that.

How would expansion increase interest? Thats 2 more teams and owners to worry about and 2 more weeks of a season to sim.

Crash said...

It's not necessarily two extra weeks to sim - we don't have to increase the number of games. We'd go to 3 divisions of 4 teams each, playing each team in your division twice and either the #1 and #4 or #2 and #3 teams in the other division (like the NFL). Like, Lincoln would play Louisville and an expansion team from an east division. We could still keep the 10 game format this way.

And I'm just afraid we'll let this sit 'til March and some of the less committed members will lose interest. Just sayin'

Crash said...

Or we could conceptually increase the schedule. I'll figure something out that coincides with the start of my school year schedule-wise.

Bmac said...

I would like to return for the upcoming season.

As for expansion, is there a good number of potential future owners in line, waiting for expansion? I don't want to add a few teams and then have owners that are inexperienced/uncommitted.

Crash said...

I mean, droozer's been waiting for like 5 million years and Mike and I have had 2 or 3 guys email us...

Or maybe a Minor Minor League Football is in order. :P

Big Mike said...

I think we should just stay at 10, and kick some of the dead owners or guys who don't contribute, and add guys like Droozer and The Barrish. Plus this off-season is going to be a busy one. TC and I (he's actually putting them together) will be working on Style Guides and Uniform Historys for the Nav Bar. Plus we are going to be working on Pro Combat Uniforms for Pro Combat Week, we will get into that a little later. Plus I'll be trying to finish stats and PoTW photos, and we will vote on awards sometime as well.

Crash said...

Alright. I'd be all for vote kicking MBurmy.

I know guys like Throwback check the page on a normal basis, but it'd be nice to get a comment outta you every once in awhile if that makes sense. I mean I don't know, putting the time into this that Mike and I (and now TC) put into it is a big commitment and it's kinda hard to stay motivated per se when it's the same 3 or 4 people commenting all the time.

Oh, and expect a big announcement from the Tropics.

Crash said...

Also, a tentative schedule (by the Saturday of each week)

May 14th - Week 1
May 28th - Week 2 (Memorial Day)
June 4th - Week 3
June 11th - Week 4
June 18th - Week 5
June 25th - Week 6
July 2nd - Week 7
July 9th - Week 8
July 16th - Week 9
July 23rd - Week 10
(Off Week for catching up/I'll be in California)
August 6th - First Round of Playoffs
August 13th - Conference Championships
August 20th - MLF Championship 4

Kevin said...

I'm here

Kevin said...

We need to vote on awards for season three, MVP ect.

Big Mike said...

Yeah we will, I have to finish stats and everything first.

Kevin said...

CARR FOR MVP!!!!!